On the road to Würzburg –
OFF TO MUNICH WE GO
Exquisite hand-painted ceilings and Baroque design captured our imagination as we walked through grand rooms and along the long hallways. While many rooms maintained their original Baroque decor, some featured Neoclassical or Rococo design. The most impressive room was the Steinemer Saal, or Marble Hall, a three-story room with gilded columns, crystal chandeliers, spectacular Baroque frescoes by Johann Baptist Zimmermann and F. Zimmermann and Rococo embellishments.
ISLAND MAGIC— From the Munich Residence, we scurried off to Prien am Chiemsee where we caught a boat from Prien-Stock to Herreninsel, the largest island in Chiemsee Lake, which is home to Herrenchiemsee, a complex of royal buildings. Here we found the New Palace, built in the 18th century by King Ludwig II of Bavaria. He purchased the island, the former site of an Augustine monastery, in 1873. After converting the building into Altes Schloss, or Old Palace, he built the Neues Schloos, or New Herrenchiemsee Palace. The building and classical gardens followed the design of Versailles. The building was never completed.
HEADING HOME —
Before returning to Brussels, we had two more stops: Nürnberg Imperial Castle and Reichsparteitagsgelände, or the Reich Party Congress Grounds, both in Nurenberg. The visit to the National Socialist party grounds was moving. The grounds encompass about 11 square kilometres in the southeastern portion of the city and were the site for six Nazi party rallies between 1933 and 1938. We read about the rallies as we stood below the Documentation Center, a “glass and steel arrow” overlooking the dilapidated grounds. It is meant to provide a highly visible “architectural counterpoint.” It did.