Thursday 3 until Sunday 6 June 2021
Sword, Juno, Gold, Omaha & Utah beaches
Accommodation in good 3* and 4* hotels
Transportation by luxury 4* coach
Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force: You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hope and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.
Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.
But this is the year 1944! The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to victory!
I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle.
We will accept nothing less than full victory!
Good luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.
General Dwight D. Eisenhower, Supreme Allied Commander, 6 June 1944
On 6 June 1944, tens of thousands of soldiers of the Allied Forces landed on the beaches of Normandy. Few moments in history match the significance of this military operation that is remembered as D-Day. It was a key turning point in the Second World War, which ultimately lead to the defeat of the Nazi regime 11 months and 1 day later (Reims, 7 May 1945).
This 77th Anniversary D-Day long weekend trip is dedicated to the fallen soldiers and heroes that fought on those beaches and in the hinterlands during the Battle of Normandy. During 3 days we will travel through all sections — Sword, Juno, Gold, Omaha and Utah — visit various museums, bunkers, battlefields, monuments and cemeteries. A private expert guide will accompany us during these days and give us an in-depth view of what happened. We did this trip in June 2019 as well and it was without doubt one of our very best trips in Expat Club’s history.
Hopefully you can free up time in your schedule to join us. We travel during the D-Day weekend itself, so you can be part of a memorable experience to celebrate freedom together with thousands of people from all over the world, including many soldiers and military staff. During this weekend you will be able to see many old military vehicles, and we try to plan our trip so that you can also see unique events such as the paratrooper droppings near St Mère Eglise.
“This was an awesome trip and we really enjoyed ourselves.
So glad that we picked this one to be our first
(and hopefully not out last) trip with the Expat Club!!!
I never thought I would be part of the 75th Anniversary of D-Day”
– participant 2019 trip
We would like to know if you are interested in this trip. If yes, please let us know by making a pre-reservation. This is for free and without obligation. You can do this in 2 ways. If you are a member, log in and click on the RSVP button. If you are not yet a member, you can either first register as a member, the log in and click on the RSVP on this page, or you can send us a message at email@example.com with the number of people you would like to join.
What is included?
The price of this trip cannot yet be fully given yet, but is likely to start around €599 like last year, based on 2 people sharing a room in the 3* hotel. This are the other elements it includes.
- transportation by 4* luxury coach
- snacks & drinks on-board on the outbound journey
- accommodation in a 3* hotel in Caen (3 nights, including breakfast)
- visits to cities of Caen, Bayeux
- visits to villages of Ouistreham, Arromanches-les-Bains, Sainte-Mère-Église
- three-days professionally guided battlefields tour (awesome guide!)
- visits to Sword, Juno, Gold, Omaha & Utah beaches
- entrance fees for Mémorial de Caen (main museum)
- entrance fees Arromanches 360˚ cinema (very impressive movie)
- one lunch during Omaha-beach day
- Upgrade to 4* hotel in Caen
- Single room
Who can join?
Expat Club is open to welcome everyone who feels like joining an open-minded international group of expats and Belgians. Most of our participants are 30-65 years old with some younger and some older, and working in a variety of fields (EU, NATO, NGO, diplomacy, corporate, academics).
- Members & non-members
- Expats & (international) Belgians
- All ages, including children (minimum 8 years advised due to topic)
- Singles / couples / retirees / friends / colleagues / families
All of us has one way or the other some kind of an international background. Participants work in various sectors:
- EU institutions
- diplomatic services
- multinationals and SMEs
Coach pick-up points
- Place Schuman (bus stop next to KBC Bank)
- La Chasse (bus stop on Ave. d’Auderghem, right before intersection)
- Metro Delta (bus stop on main road next to big parking and metro entrance)
- Metro Hermann-Debroux (bus stop on main road under overpass and next to Loxam)
Expat Club welcomes families on board. For this trip, however, be aware we are visiting many war sites. Therefore we think the minimum age is 8-12 years, but leave it up to you to make a decision. Children up to 12 years get €200 discount, children up to 18 years get €150 discount. Please contact us before making a reservation.
This is going to be an unforgettable 4-day trip with a great group of like-minded people. The exact program will be communicated to participants before the trip, but rest assured this is going to be a very complete itinerary that does full justice to everything that happened before, during and after D-Day. The program also depends much on traffic conditions, so we have to be a bit flexible, but again rest assured that we will see virtually all important places like we did in 2019.
- Thursday 3 June – Afterwork departure, hotel in Caen
- Friday 4 June – Visit Caen Mémorial and Sword, Juno & Gold beaches
- Saturday 5 June – Visit Omaha beach (beach, US Cemetery, Pointe du Hoc)
- Sunday 6 June – Visit to Utah beach & Sainte-Mère Église & paratroopers
This weekend trip is fully dedicated to the 77th Anniversary of D-Day. As one of the most important battles in the world’s history, visiting the beaches of lower Normandy will leave you with an indelible imprint. The sheer size of this military operation, the enormous sacrifices suffered by the allies and the still visible traces on this sacred piece of land that stretches for dozens of kilometers along the coastline, makes this trip a unique once-in-a-lifetime experience. It will not be just a visit to the D-Day beaches, it will be a journey back into history that still defines our world today.
During this long weekend we will explore the 5 D-Day beaches in Lower Normandy: Sword, Gold, Omaha, Juno and Utah. A super good and funny expert guide will guide us around. We will visit the most important sites, such as Pegasus Bridge, Arromanches-les-Bains, the American Memorial and Cemetery, Point-du-Hoc and Sainte-Mère-Église. The last day of this trip falls right on the the 77th Anniversary of D-Day. There will be many official celebrations and ceremonies taking place during these days, so it’s really the best time of year to visit. You can expect countless military vehicles, people in uniform, Scottish pipers, old airplanes flying by, paratroopers and more. It’s truly a very uplifting atmosphere of international peace and understanding.
We are truly following the entire coast line of lower Normandy with visits to cities, villages, cemeteries, historic sites and many more. The following destinations are only a few of them, more will be in the actual program.
We depart on Thursday afternoon at about 17h30 from Place Schuman, followed by La Chasse, Metro Delta and Metro Hermann-Debroux. The actual time and meetings points will be communicated by email about one week before the trip (with clear maps and links). We will be travelling with a 4* luxury bus with reclining comfort seats, footrests, air-conditioning, on-board toilet, and DVD-system with at least three flat screens.
We are staying this year in only 1 place, namely Caen, the Capital of the region. Here you can choose between the 3* Hotel de l’Universe, the 3* Ibis hotel or the 4* Mercure hotel, each located in downtown Caen right on the harbour and both among the best hotels in town. For this trip breakfast will already be included in the trip fee, so you can start the day right well.
Mercure Caen Centre Porte de Plaisance****
This hotel is located right on the yacht harbour of Caen, right in the heart of the city. The 4* rooms are clean and very comfortable. If you take breakfast as well, be prepared for a feast; last time we stayed here we totally loved it!
Ibis Caen Centre***
The Ibis hotel is located right next to the Mercure hotel. The rooms are clean and all have a private bathroom. In this hotel we offer single rooms and twin rooms.
Hotel de l’Universe***
This basic 3-star hotel is located at just 100 meters from the Ibis and Mercure hotel. The rooms are small, but they are clean and comfortable. In this hotel we offer single, double and triple rooms. Note, we propose this as a budget hotel that is definitely a step below the Ibis hotel and a big difference with the Mercure hotel.
Information for solo travellers
If you travel alone, you can choose between a single room (with surcharge) or a twin room in the Ibis hotel (with 2 separate beds, no surcharge) so you can share it with another lady or gentleman (only 1 shared room available). We just introduce you to the other people who also want to share, but leave it up to you to decide who your room partner will be. Our previous guests loved this solution, so we always have lots of people opting for this. Note that we have only few rooms for males who would like to share, so don’t wait too long reserving your spot!
Due to the long days, as well as the “heavy” topic, this trip may be less geared toward younger children. We suggest participating children be at least 8-12 years of age and have an interest in history. For children up to 13 years, we offer a €100 discount; for children between 14 and 18, we offer a €50 discount. Please contact us when you would like to make a reservation so we can also look at arranging the best rooms for your family. We want to stress that we highly appreciate taking your children with you, especially to this specific historic destination. Expat Club often welcomes families, so feel welcome!
- The trip will be carried out by one of our trusted coach partners.
- This trip is carefully planned. Still, all timings are tentative and may change if required by unforeseen circumstances.
- The trip is sold as a package. You cannot go with your own transportation or arrange your own accommodation. If there are specific things that you do not want in the package, please let us know and we may consider a small discount.
- You are personally responsible for getting good cancellation and travel insurance that covers you for unforeseen emergencies and medical expenses before or during the trip.
- You are personally responsible for using the hotel room in an appropriate way. Any missing or broken items will be billed after the trip.
- Expat Club cannot be held liable for long delays that influence the program (e.g. missed guided tours), neither can Expat Club be held liable for weather-related cancellations or any other unforeseen events that influence the course of the trip, including, but not limited to technical problems with the coach, strikes, weather, road blockages, etc.
- Expat Club cannot be held liable for personal injuries during the trip. Joining this trip is safe but still at your own risk.
- The deadline for cancellation with a refund is 8 weeks in advance of departure (see terms & conditions)
- If you do not find a room partner on your own, we will find one for you (male/male, female/female). During the outbound trip we will connect you with others in the same position. If you decide to take a single room during the trip, then you will have to fully pay for it yourself. If you book this option, you are never forced to pay for a single room.