Friday 18 – Sunday 20 September 2020
Milano, Lago di Como, Lago Maggiore
3-4* hotel in Milan
Direct flights to Milan
In light of the current corona virus situation in Italy,
this trip is on hold until it is allowed, possible & safe to travel to Northern Italy.
At Expat Club we just love this beautiful, historic and cultural region,
and we want to go back there to support their local economy.
We therefore plan this trip in the late summer or fall.
Dates are unconfirmed, but you can now pre-reserve your spot!
The lakes region of Northern Italy is one of the world’s most scenic areas. No wonder many of the rich and famous call(ed) it their home, including George Clooney, Madonna, Donatella Versace and Sir Richard Branson. The many stunning villas along the irregular shaped shorelines look out over the dark waters, hills and Alps, connecting lovely villages like a necklace of expensive real estate.
During this long weekend trip we will explore two of the most famous lakes, Lago di Como and Lago Maggiore. We visit beautiful places such as Como, Bellagio, Varenna as well as the exquisite Isola Bella with its impressive Palazzo Borromeo. The region is beloved for recreation purposes for those living in the City of Milan, Italy’s economic power house. To complete our trip we therefore stay here and also get to know this historic city that is known for its majestic Duomo, Da Vinci’s Last Supper, La Scala, the furniture fair, and the fashion industry.
Pre-reserve your spot now
We would like to know if you are interested in this trip. If yes, please let us know by making a pre-reservation. This is for free and without obligation. You can do this in 2 ways. If you are a member, log in and click on the RSVP button. If you are not yet a member, you can either first register as a member, the log in and click on the RSVP on this page, or you can send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org with the number of people you would like to join.
What is included in the trip fee?
This trip is rather inclusive already. However, we cannot say yet what the trip price will be.
- Direct flights to Milan
- Airport transfers
- 2 nights in a good 3* or 4* hotel
- Guided tour in Milan
- Dinner in Milan
- Entrance fees
- Local transfers
- Trip on Lago di Como
- Visit to Como & Bellagio
- Trip to Lago Maggiore
- Visit to Isola Bella
- A great group of international people
- A lifetime memory
What is optional?
This trip already rather inclusive. Still, there are a few things that you can optionally select. Prices are shown during the reservation process after you click on the blue “Reserve my spot” button.
- Single room
- 1 checked luggage (20kg)
Who can join?
Expat Club is open to welcome everyone who feels like joining an open-minded international group of expats and Belgians. Most of our participants are 30-65 years old with some younger and some older, and working in a variety of fields (EU, NATO, NGO, diplomacy, corporate, academics).
- Members & non-members
- Expats & (international) Belgians
- All ages, including children (minimum 8 years advised due to topic)
- Singles / couples / retirees / friends / colleagues / families
All of us has one way or the other some kind of an international background. Participants work in various sectors:
- EU institutions
- diplomatic services
- multinationals and SMEs
Expat Club welcomes families on board. For this trip, however, be aware that the operas are long and possibly boring. Please contact us before making a reservation, so we can give you a proper discount and can assign the right rooms for you.
The program for this trip to Milan and the North Italian lakes is carefully designed like any other Expat Club trip. We value realistic departure, travel and arrival times, and put a lot of effort into allocating enough time to visit each destination. Without feeling rushed, we love visiting several places in a smart way. Of course still much depend on traffic situations, but you can rest assured that we always do our best to give you the most optimal experience.
The following program is tentative and will likely change a bit before we open this trip for actual reservations.
Friday 18 September
– Flight to Milano
– Check-in to hotel
– Guided tour Milan
– Visit to Duomo
– Visit to Castello
Saturday 19 September
– Trip to Lago di Como
– Visit to Como
– Visit to Bellagio
– Boat tour on Lago do Como
– Dinner on the lake
Sunday 20 September
– Visit to Lago Maggiore
– Visit to Isola Bella
– Return flight to Brussels
We start our weekend journey in Italy’s economic powerhouse Milan, the capita of Lombardy and second largest Italian city. With 1,4 million inhabitants (3,2 million in the metropolitan area and up to 8,2 million in the wider region), it is one of Europe’s largest and richest areas. A hotbed for production, design, art, finance, media, tourism and many other services, it follows Paris as the EU’s second-largest economy. Over 8 million foreign visitors come Milan every year, and not without a reason. There is just so much to see!
We explore the city with a local guide, who shows us the most important areas and the major highlights. We try to arrange entrance tickets for Da Vinci’s Last Supper, but it is extremely difficult to get these since they are usually sold out many months in advance (but we’ll do our best). But even if it doesn’t work, there are still many other world-class museums to visit. Milan is a true must-see destination, and we’ll make sure you are going to enjoy this visit.
Laghi di Como & Maggiore
The Huffington Post called the Lago di Como the most beautiful lake in the world. No wonder, if even Anakin Skywalker travels from a Galaxy Far Far Away to declare his love for Queen Amadala in a beautiful villa looking out over this stunning lake (Star Wars episode 2, Attack of the Clones). Since Roman times it has been a popular place for aristocrats and wealthy people. This is is still the case, considering the many beautiful houses and villas that are situated along its entire shoreline.
Having the shape of a upside down Y or dowsing rod, the Como lake is situated directly North of Milan and is the third largest lake in Italy, after Garda and Maggiore. Its name comes from the city of Como, which is located at the end of the lower left arm. With 400 meter depth, it is one of the deepest lakes in Europe. In fact, the bottom lies 200 meters below sea level.
Many villages and smaller cities surround the lake, but one is so famous that even a casino in Las Vegas is called after it… Indeed, Bellagio! This village could not pick a better location. It literally sits on the edge of the intersection of the two arms, and we’ll take a boat there (from either Como or Lecco) to enjoy the lake from the water. The city center boasts countless restaurants and tourist shops, whereas you can take a nice promenade on the lake shores.
Another must-see lake to visit is Lago Maggiore that extends for about 65km between Arona in the South and Locarno (Switzerland) in the North. Just like Lago di Como it has a relatively mild climate, which allows for Mediterranean vegetation. This becomes especially clear when we visit the exquisite Isola Bella at just a few minutes boat ride from the town of Stresa. It has a palace and incredible gardens, and of course we will visit it.
We cannot yet tell you in which hotel we are staying and where. For sure there will be single rooms, double rooms for couples or parent/child (one large bed), twin rooms for 2 friends sharing (2 single beds) and twin rooms for solo travellers who would like to share a room (2 single beds).
- The trip will be carried out by Brussels Airlines.
- The trip is carefully planned. Still, all timings are indicative and may change if required by circumstances.
- The trip is sold as a package. You cannot go with your own transportation or arrange your own accommodation. If there are specific things that you do not want in the package, please let us know.
- You are personally responsible for getting good cancellation and/or travel insurance that covers you for unforeseen emergencies and medical expenses before or during the trip.
- You are personally responsible for using the hotel room in an appropriate way. Any missing or broken items will be billed after the trip.
- Expat Club cannot be held liable for unforeseen delays that influence the program (e.g. missed guided tours), neither can Expat Club be held liable for weather-related cancellations or any other unforeseen events that influence the course of the trip, including, but not limited to technical problems with planes or coaches, strikes, weather etc.
- Expat Club cannot be held liable for personal injuries during the trip, such as, but not limited to, things that happen during the guided tours. Joining this trip is safe but still at your own risk.
- If you do not find a room partner on your own, we will find one for you (male/male, female/female). During the outbound trip we will connect you with others in the same position. If you decide to take a single room during the trip, then you will have to fully pay for it yourself.
- If you book a double / twin room and your travel partner cancels, you will have to pay the single room supplement or share a room with another person (if available).