YOU CAN BOOK AS LONG AS THE BUTTON BOOK NOW WORKS. FOR LAST MINUTE INFORMATION, DON’T HESITATE TO CALL 0495345144 OR MAIL INFO@EXPATCLUB.ORG.
After a very successful first trip in 2016 we are happy to again put Strasbourg on our calendar for Christmas. Being permanently inhabited since the second millennium B.C. Strasbourg calls itself The Capital of Christmas, and that’s for a good reason.
The city celebrates Christmas with a big market already since 1570, so for nearly 450 years. It is the oldest Christmas market in France. Still, due to the fact that Strasbourg used to be German several times throughout its history, you may believe you’re walking around at a German Christmas market.
Christmas in Strasbourg is something unique. Hundreds of superb Christmas stalls can be found all over the city. Shop windows are nicely decorated, special Christmas drinks and treats can be found on every street corner, a huge spectacular Christmas tree lights up the Place Kleber, and an ice skating rink can be found at the foot of the Cathedral.
But even without this happy seasonal display, Strasbourg is an extraordinarily beautiful city. Home to 250.000 inhabitants (and about 750.000 in the metropolitan area) it was the world’s first city of which the entire centre was declared a UNESCO world heritage site. No wonder, because it is simply a stunning historical place with countless exquisite buildings, streets, parks and squares. On top of that it is home to various international institutions, such as the Council of Europe, and hosts the European Parliament one week every month.
We arrive in the early afternoon in Strasbourg. After checking in to our hotels we will be greeted by our professional local guides. For virtually all Expat Club trips we arrange official guides to show us around the places we visit. This way you can listen to an expert who knows everything, including the funny stories and remarkable facts.
After the general guided tour you can also join us for a special 1-hour guided tour at the Cathedral. This gothic Cathedral is generally known as one of Europe’s most beautiful ones. With its rich history there is a lot to tell about the structure, the art, its history and the fascinating astronomical clock.
We travel with a 5* luxury coach. This one is much more luxurious than a regular 4* coach that we usually use. It even has a limited number of First Class seats, with just 3 seats per row, instead of 4. It really doesn’t get any better than this! If you would like to travel First Class there is a €10 surcharge per passenger one way (so just €20 per trip). We depart as usual from Place Schuman . On board we serve you some drinks and snack (juice/water, waffles, chocolate bars, bananas).The trip to Strasbourg takes approximately 4,5 hours net driving time, so we want to make sure you are comfortable. With a coffee- and toilet stop in Luxembourg we will arrive around 13h30 in Strasbourg.
For this trip we arranged rooms in two top quality 4* hotels in the heart of Strasbourg: the Best Western Hotel de l’Europe by HappyCulture as well as the Aparthotel Adagio Strasbourg Place Kleber (both a Booking.com rating of 8.5 and a location rating of 9,5 and 9,4 respectively!!!). They are at just a few minutes walking from the main Place Kleber, and they are also just a few minutes walking apart. Normally 4* hotels in the city center cost around €225-400 per night with a minimum of 2 nights during the Christmas weekends, but we arranged them well in advance for you, which explains the good price we can offer you.
Aparthotel Adagio Strasbourg Place Kleber**** FULLY BOOKED AS OF MONDAY 9 OCTOBER
The highly-rated 4* Aparthotel Adagio Strasbourg Place Kleber is one of the highest rated hotels in Strasbourg. Indeed, this is in the middle of the city centre, right around the corner of Place Kleber and very close to the Christmas markets. There is no need take take taxis or public transportation as you can safely walk through the centre. We have two types of comfortable rooms available, but we do NOT offer regular twin rooms here, except for the more expensive 1-bedroom apartment rooms. Breakfast is not yet included, but you can indicate this during the checkout procedure (€15 per person).
- Studio for 1 or 2 persons
Living room with high quality fold-down double bed, well equipped kitchen, bathroom with bathtub and WC, television, direct dial telephone, personal safe, airconditioning and WiFi. If you use this one as a single room there will be a €105 single supplement.
Best Western Hotel de l’Europe HappyCulture**** ROOMS GOING FAST!!!
Another one of the best rated hotels in town with a whopping 9,5 score for location. It almost cannot be better than this, just like the Adagio hotel. According to the reviews people just love staying here! In this hotel we offer only TWIN rooms. This means each room has two single beds, so it’s only meant for two friends sharing a room. Also, we would like to welcome our single guests here that would like to share a room to avoid the single supplement. So if you are on your own and you don’t have anyone to share the room with, no worries! Expat Club will introduce you to another gentleman or lady to share a twin room with.
The main purpose of this trip is to see the wonderful Christmas markets and to enjoy the magical Christmas atmosphere of Strasbourg. Expat Club trips are also a way to socialise and meet new friends, as well as to get to know new places, so there are a few fixed and optional program parts. Directly after arrival we will discover the city during a 1,5 hours professionally guided tour. We will see the old pedestrian areas around the majestic Cathedral, the Maison Kammerzell, Place Gutenberg, the tanners’ houses, the Covered Bridges, the Vauban Dam, the former customs-house and former town-butchery, as well as the Palais Rohan. The guided tour lasts until about 16h30, so you have a lot of time to visit the Christmas markets on Saturday afternoon and early evening.
On Saturday evening we will organise a traditional Alsatian Christmas dinner in the well-known and very nice local Restaurant Kammerzell right next to the Cathedral. Joining us for this special dinner costs €44,50. It must be reserved in advance. As we come with a group, we can only offer one standard menu + a vegetarian option..
Terrine de Saumon à l’Oseille, Marinade de petits Légumes
Magret de Canard rôti aux Framboises, Gratin Dauphinois, Haricots verts
Savarin au Rhum, Crème Chantilly et Compotée de Vieux Garçon
Terrine de Légumes, Emulsion d’Huile d’Olive au Pesto et Mesclun de Salade
Brochette de Tofu aux Graines de Sésame, Poêlée de Légumes du Moment
Tartelette Gianduja-Citron, Glace Gianduja
Drinks (all of them)
Sylvaner Hering “Clos de la Folie Marco” à Barr
Pinot Noir Mosbach « Rouge de Marlenheim »
1 Eau Minérale
Sunday boat ride
The centre of Strasbourg is located on an island. We will take a boat at around 10h30 to sail around it, but also to see the farther away located European district with the impressive buildings of the European Parliament, the Council of Europe and the European Court of Human Rights. A ticket for this boat trip cost €12,50 and can be reserved during checkout.
We will return to Brussels in the mid afternoon. This way you can join us for the boat ride in the morning, visit the Christmas markets again and have lunch. We will return to Brussels around 21h30.
COMMENTS & SPECIAL TERMS
- This trip is carefully planned. Still, all timings are indicative and may change if required by circumstances.
- The trip is carried out by one of our trusted coach partners.
- The trip is sold as a package. You cannot go with your own transportation or arrange your own accommodation.
- You are personally responsible for getting a good travel insurance that covers you for any unforeseen emergency and medical expenses during the trip.
- The regular cancellation period of 2 weeks is not valid for this specific trip. Instead the cancellation period is 4 weeks in advance of departure. In line with the terms & conditions this period notice will over-rule those terms & conditions, while the other rules of cancellation will remain valid, such as cancellation fees. If you would like to cancel within 4 weeks of departure you should have your own cancellation insurance. The other cancellation terms remain valid, such as the administrative and cancellation fees.
- You are personally responsible for using the hotel room in an appropriate way. Any missing or broken items will be billed after the trip.
- Expat Club cannot be held liable for long unforeseen delays that influence the program (e.g. missed guided tours), neither can Expat Club be held liable for weather-related cancellations or any other unforeseen events that influence the course of the trip, including, but not limited to technical problems with the coach, strikes and traffic conditions.
- Expat Club cannot be held liable for personal injuries during the trip, such as, but not limited to, during the guided tours. Joining this trip is at your own risk.
- If you do not find a room mate on your own, we will introduce you to others in the same position. If you decide to take a single room during the trip, then you will have to pay for it yourself in full (since we need two single rooms then).
- If you book a double / twin room and your travel partner cancels, you will have to pay the single room supplement. The amount will be deducted from your room partner’s refund (if applicable).
** During the Christmas market weekends hotels in Strasbourg (3* and up) are incredibly expensive and generally only available if booked for minimal 2-nights. A comparable 4* hotel at this amazing location would cost you at least €225 or more per night (so €450 minimum per weekend). The Expat Club offer includes transportation, a guided tour and other things (such as a lovely group of like-minded people) and is therefore attractive.