Saturday 15 August
From 17h00 to 01h30 (CHANGED!)
Observatoire Centre Ardenne, Grapfontaine
Transportation by 4* luxury coach
UPDATE 14 August, 10h00. The trip is still confirmed.
NEAR PERFECT WEATHER CONDITIONS (see below)
Also the moon is less than 20%, so it’s much darker than in 2019.
Departure from Schuman at 17h00, followed by other stops.
EXTRA bus boarding and drop-off points.
Outbound: Schuman, La Chasse, Delta, Hermann-Debroux
Inbound: the same + Merode, Montgomery, Roodebeek (or at busstops along route)
It’s time for some serious stargazing! After several successful and fun visits to the Planetarium in Brussels and the Public Observatory in Grimbergen, we take things to the next level again. Join us on this trip to the Ardennes to enjoy the celestial spectacle of the Perseids Meteor shower. Summer evenings are always nice for watching the skies, but we choose this date because our Planet Earth is passing through the Perseids meteor field, resulting in countless shooting stars in the sky. On top of that we will enjoy a presentation in a special domed planetarium and we will be able to watch through several professional telescopes (e.g. to look at planets, nebulas and other celestial objects). For this trip we maintain a good-weather guarantee. If it is too cloudy we will cancel the trip. But be aware we had to disappoint dozens of people in previous years because it was fully booked, so reserve your spot on time.
- Bus companies are allowed to transport at full capacity again.
- All buses are cleaned thoroughly and frequently, with extra care for often-touched surfaces. During the trip the driver will again clean the bus. There are transparent curtains between each row. The bus has high quality filters and air is refreshed continuously.
- Wearing a mask is obligatory inside the bus, except if 1,5 metres distance is possible.
- Wearing a mask is obligatory at the Observatory. A toilet is available.
- We cannot serve a BBQ unfortunately. Expat Club will serve free drinks. Due to our late afternoon departure we will stop at a highway restaurant so you can buy something to eat.
- Transportation by 4* luxury coach
- Entrance fees Observatoire Centre Ardenne
- Lecture and presentation in planetarium (first 30 only)
- Usage fees of telescopes
- Explanation by experts
- Stargazing in darkness 🙂
- Some little snacks and drinks
- A fun group of international people
- A lifetime memory
Coach pick up points
- Place Schuman, Brussels (bus stop next to KBC bank on roundabout)
- La Chasse (long bus stop on Avenue d’Auderghem, right before main intersection)
- Metro Delta (long bus stop on Avenue de Beaulieu, next to metro entry)
- Metro Hermann-Debroux (long bus stop under highway flyover, next to Loxam)
- Hoeilaart E411 highway entrance #2
On the return we also stop at Merode, Montgomery and Roodebeek (near Woluwe Shopping Center) and at points in between at bus stops if traffic allows.
Who can join?
Expat Club is known for welcoming a wide variety of international people on its trips. This creates a special, open-minded, safe and friendly environment in which everyone should feel comfortable. You do not have to be a member even, and of course Belgians are more the invited too to join us. We always welcome many solo travellers, couples, retirees, small groups of friends and on this trip certainly also families.
What if the weather is bad?
Having good clear weather for stargazing is essential. The past 4 years it was superb 2 times and very good 1 time, but another time we had to cancel the entire trip because there were way too many clouds. In principle we confirm this trip on Wednesday 12 August (the go / no-go date), based on the weather forecasts for Saturday 15 August. If we cancel it, you will be refunded fully within a few days. Early bird and child tickets will remain available until the evening before departure.
How to add a child ticket?
First add the tickets for adults to the cart. Then on the cart page you can select an additional child ticket (€50). If you need 2 or more tickets then you can change the quantity.